Saturday, July 17, 2021

Frolf and Rolf

I took Shane frisbee golfing today! We went to Walnut Creek.

I wanted to do something different. To have a little adventure.


Shane was less thrilled. He went along, because I forced him. 

"I don't like frisbee golf!" Shane said.

"You've never been!" I replied.

"I did it at school!"

"...You've never been with me!"

I'm larger. So we did it. 

My friends and I used to play at Burke Lake Park in NOVA. To me, frisbee golf is a low stress, easier, better, golf. 

Walnut Creek wanted to prove me wrong.


I just bought discs and Hole #2 wanted us to throw through intense shrubs and over a water feature.


Shane nearly threw his disc sideways on his first throw of Hole #1. There was no way he was clearing that, and I wasn't sure I could either!


The trail wasn't well marked and it took a little bit to find the easier start. It wasn't much better. I called an audible and we skipped the hole.


I wasn't about to wade through the muck a handful of throws after we started. 


Shane was happy. The fewer holes the better in his opinion. I told him we'd stay for less than an hour and he was counting the minutes!


He forgot himself and had fun sometimes. Then the heat and humidity reminded him he'd rather be at home in the AC.


He had a point, too. We should have gone a lot earlier in the day. It looked like we'd gone swimming by the time we got home. I brought a cup of water we both drained, but I probably sweat two cups worth.


And we only played through Hole #9. 


I found the terrain interesting. I like hiking through forests. 


Shane was more interested in the bugs. There were some "funnel web spiders" hanging off a footbridge, a black ant that crawled on my leg, etc, etc.


The trails were poorly marked, and we ended up hiking in circles or to the wrong Hole several times. We came across one group who made a wrong turn as we left and were able to help out (They'd just lost a frisbee on Hole #1 and weren't so sure about Hole #2, either!).

We stayed less than an hour. If we go again, it's going to be much earlier or better weather.

Side note: I've heard Walnut Creek is free if you arrive early enough. It didn't look free as we arrived. I rolled up to the booth, but I didn't see anyone and no one spoke. I stopped for a little bit and then started to inch onward before driving off. Shane said he "saw movement like a person in the woods to our left," but his imagination makes him hard to rely on. When we left, the door was open to the booth on the exit side. There was someone inside staring down at his phone. Maybe we caught him zoned out? Or maybe he was in the porta-pot?

Sadly, Shane started to feel sick later on. We got home around 12:35 PM. I'd made him drink water at the park, but he grabbed his Game Boy and zoned into Pokemon. I think he zoned in for way too long. Shane has a tendency not to take care of basic needs like drinking water and using the bathroom when he's in the zone. Normally, I'd monitor and kick him off, but I was busy on the side (I talked to Burrough in Thailand, worked out, showered, trimmed my beard and sides of my head, etc).

Near dinner time, Shane started saying he had a bad headache. Carrie gave him some medicine and told him to drink some water. I checked on him a little later and reminded him to keep drinking water. I sweat bucketloads earlier between late barn chores and frisbee golf. I made sure to rehydrate over time, but Pokemon boy probably didn't. 

Shane must have gulped multiple cups, because he threw up water and blueberries. 


He had no fever, but he acted like he was dying. He fell asleep a little after 6 PM before dinner was out of the oven.

I found Carrie and Shane both asleep by 8 PM. 


Which meant I got to do the horse chores solo. Shane woke up as I came back in. 

He felt refreshed. 

I still had him get ready for bed (After eating dinner and drinking something, of course).

The Princess Bride Update: Carrie read all of Inigo's backstory aloud after lunch. She tried reading the duel while Shane was resting with the headache, but he said he couldn't focus. I ended up reading it before bed. We'll have to read Fezzik's backstory tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment