Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Skunk Round 2

Monday night, Carrie noticed a visitor in our pastures: A skunk!


Exactly one year ago, we had another skunk visit us. That skunk needed help, so Carrie immediately went out to investigate this one.


Of course, I was cooking. The timer was ticking down, too.


I had to watch from the porch as I moved back and forth. Shane heard there was a skunk, but since he was on Roblox he sat and drooled.


Carrie came back in without the skunk. She said it was a young one, but healthy. It hadn't shown any interest in coming up to her.

Carrie was fine with having a skunk around. "They eat bugs," she said. "Have at it, little guy!"

Over the next week there were many skunk sightings. It made its way across all the pastures.


Eowyn lost her muzzle in Pasture #4 one morning and I walked by skunky in Pasture #3.


He/she was happily, nose down and rooting for food as I walked by.


I made a few noises to get its attention, but it was too busy looking for lunch to care.


Sunday morning, it was wet out. Laura played fetch with Loki in the arena and he was covered in gravel dust, so I took him to chase cars and clean off. 

Skunky was there.


So far, Loki hasn't tangled with Skunky. I saw the potential for trouble right away, but Loki was fixated on the cars. He saw Skunky shortly after this picture. 

Thankfully, Loki listens well. When he started to run and investigate and I yelled, "Ehn!" He turned around to give me a look, I yelled, "GO-GO-GO!" and Skunky was forgotten.

Skunky noticed me, though. The tail went up!


It let me get a better picture of Skunky's face.

I let Loki run for an abbreviated time and we headed back in. Loki already smells like he could use a bath. He didn't need a skunk to make it worse!

There hasn't been any issues with the horses, so there's no reason to do anything yet other than take pictures and post a blog. If something does happen...well, that'll be another post! 

No comments:

Post a Comment