Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Word Games (The Backlog!)

It started with Wordle. It was quick. It was limited. I like word games. It became a daily habit. I play on Hard Mode now (locks letters in after discovered - no tactical guessing). Somedays I get lucky.

Usually I do well (3 or 4 guesses). 

But every now and then hard mode pushes me to the limit. I've lost on an annoying -atch before "Is it Hatch, Watch, Catch, Batch, Match, Latch or Patch?"


J words are often annoying for me. It's one of the last letters I roll through!

At this point, I've tried lots of variants. Octordle is my favorite. I have usually start with a combo like "STALE - CHIRP - FUDGY." If I have enough info after two words I start guessing. If not, I use my 3rd word or a modified 3rd word based on what I'm seeing.

At this point, I've played enough there are words I can sniff out that I barely know the meanings of.


I had so much free fun, I felt I owed the site the money to upgrade to Gold. Now, I get an extra daily puzzle! These are my stats as of 12/28 at 8:52 AM.


My favorite mode to play is Rescue. It's also the hardest. You have 9 guesses to get 8 words after the computer makes a few bad picks to start you off. I dropped below a 70% win rate after a string of bad 50/50 guesses (Grrrr...), but I've brought myself back up to that milestone. 


I did the Sexaginta-quattuordle once (64 words) on a challenge from a student. I don't planning on doing it again.

Best analogy: I like the occasional hike. One or two hours at most. I have no desire to go on a multiple day hiking trip. Octordle hits the sweet spot for complexity and payoff as I deduce words. Variants of more than 8 words stay around too long and I'm ready to move on!

I tend to play fast, but after 1,000 games the minutes here and there add up.

No comments:

Post a Comment