Sunday, April 12, 2020

COVID 19 - The Coronavirus: Easter Isn't Cancelled!

He is risen! Happy Easter!


Shane watched a kid's service with us in the morning (10 AM). Carrie and I watched an adult service later on (1 PM?). 


If you can't tell from the times, it was a slow day. Laura came and did the morning barn chores for her once a week turn and Ellie came in the evening for hers. It was the first day we didn't have to do anything in the barn in a looooong time.

We did a good job of avoiding work for the day.

Though Shane found Mom's riddle to be a ridiculous amount of work!

Carrie told Shane that she hid a "large egg" in the house. She said that it was somewhere under the roof of the house and that it was delicious. It wasn't going to be in a bathroom or Mom and Dad's bedroom and it wasn't going to be hidden in a cabinet or anything out of the ordinary.

The "egg" was a cake in the garage fridge!



We told Shane that he'd get the "egg" no matter what, but if he figured out the riddle he'd see what it was early!

Shane got super frustrated. He was a little butt about it, too. We wouldn't give him extra clues or help no matter how he pouted. When he did figure it out, he apologized and was really excited (probably because Carrie pulled it out for lunch!).

On the presents front, Shane got a game from Uncle Patrick! Patrick actually bought the game almost a month ago (3/20), but I held it in my back pocket until now to reveal. It helped make the day more special!


Shane has obsessed over the game ever he played at Patrick's. He was watching YouTube play-throughs at school! I'm hoping actually playing it some more will cure him of the obsession (it normally did for me).

I didn't want to only play video games for the day. It was Easter! I wanted to do something special to make it memorable!

We made "corona-eggs."


I don't think anyone predicted toilet paper and paper towels becoming the hot, panic-bought commodity of the season. We haven't been to the recycling center for months, so we plenty of raw materials to decroate!


I started to get experimental by the end.


Carrie made hers artsy. She wanted to incorporate the leftover toiletpaper into the design!


Shane made a few, too. I'm not sure the zombie bunny was the most Eastery of decorations, but he had fun making it.


He did a more traditional one, too.


I made 14 or 15 of the 18 'eggs.' Shane went to his room to read while we hid them. Some of the hiding places were traditional.


Others were uniquely suited to the 'eggs!' I was especially pleased that Shane kept walking by the roll I wrote "You can't see me" on so many times!


The philosophy I hid things with was "Keep them mostly in sight. Some should be hard enough to take a while, but none should be hard enough we find them searching for Christmas gifts."


I put one on top of the door to fall on Shane's head when he checked the bathroom, but he saw it right away.


He didn't see the 'eggs' hanging out on the fan until near the end!


And I've got proof! Here he's walking right under them.


There was one egg that was much harder to find than all the others. That's because it traveled!


It took energy upfront to make the eggs and the hunt didn't last all that long, but it was all worth it.


I hope it's a memory Shane will cherish.


Loki cherished whenever he got to chew on an egg.


By the way, I got a great picture of the final reveal! Carrie kept turning to face Shane to keep the egg 'invisible.' She gave some hints at the end and he was excited when he figured it out!


Gotta love the love!


Carrie took a picture of all the gathered eggs and posted on Facebook. She enjoyed the hunt, too!


Ellie came and did evening horse chores, so we all got to stay inside. Carrie cooked a Mexican themed dish ("Mexican always works for my boys' pallets!") and we watched the movie Abominable from Dreamworks to finish the night.

Happy Easter all! He is risen, indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment