Thursday, April 16, 2020

COVID 19 - The Coronavirus: This Week in Barn Management

I've done a lot of horse posts during the Corona-break, haven't I?

It's part of life here. I took this picture of Maddie and Lorelai sleeping out in the fields when Shane and I took Loki for a walk.


Carrie's been an active trainer since the weather turned warmer and we've been home. It's helped having light until 8 PM and beyond, too! Lorelai is on training board, so that's further motivation. Lorelai gets the most work. Maddie's and Sam follow. Then Eddie's been getting some love to keep him in shape while Heidi is out of riding commission.


Ernie had a vet appointment. He's got some degenerative issues that cause lameness. It's been apparent enough that I've noticed him 'wince' and stumble at times. He got shots to help and ended up on stall rest for 24 hours. 


Which made a mess.


Ernie might have been swimming if our floor wasn't porous. His bedding was already worn and about ready for a change before he dedicated himself to fouling it into a swamp.

Carrie cut the bandages off the next day while he was eating.


It's all part of the services included here.


I did the less technical work. 


I try to avoid the allergies where I can. Carrie clipped Maddie's legs down again to treat her dermatitis (it keeps coming back! Take your pick as to which!).


"We need to replace these wash mats," Carrie said. Maddie relieved herself as horses are prone to do.


Our mats have holes in them that the poop manages to get wedged in. It falls in when it's fresh and wet as the water flows and then solidifies into a shit-show.

Carrie wants to avoid as much solid mass getting into the drain as possible to prevent clogs....especially since it could clog under the concrete and our builders did a terrible job grading everything. She figures if they couldn't get the floor right, there's a good chance the drain won't be right either.

Ace hardware has solid mats we'll invest in probably sooner rather than later. Carrie's expecting people will want to start washing their horses more often now that it's nice out.

I haven't left the house since March 27th. It was after our big dump run. All I did was slide by Shane's school to pick up his laptop. I was gone for less than 15 minutes.

Carrie had two big trips this week. Wednesday, She was gone for hours and hours. She took the trailer to the trailer dealership for inspection and the truck to its dealership for its service. Then she hooked up and drove to Culpeper to grab a bunch of poles for the arena! She stopped by Costco on the way home.

Then Thursday she was gone for most of the day again. This time, she went to see our girls studying abroad.


Carrie got to ride Nibs for the first time! She was excited and okay'ed all of the pictures she sent me for posting (That's rare!).


It was a really short ride since Tori had already worked Nibs, but Carrie said it went great.


I was worn out from Shane and work while she was away, but I'm glad she got the opportunity to see real progress.

Annie's still up for sale. Carrie spent hours on the phone calling up different registries and looking up information people were asking for about Annie's lineage. She collected some hair/DNA samples while she was at Tori's for Nibs and Annie to mail off and complete their registrations. 

Hopefully, she got everything done and all the information she needed. I've listened in to enough of the phone calls and asked a few questions to know the basics, but I'm not really in the mix. In Carrie, I trust.

I'm thinking about hosting an office hours in the barn next week. I don't know if I'll get good enough signal down there, but the students who do show up may appreciate the change of scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment