Sunday, April 5, 2020

COVID 19 - The Coronavirus: Family On Screen

Sunday, my family had a Zoom meeting. I thought it was going to be a game of Drawful or the kids all talking to each other. It turned out to be all the adults talking, B making faces, and Shane humming!


Shane eventually got upset when I kept muting him. "This is boring!" he said, and left.


B never stopped making faces! He was in his own world. He occasionally broke in to the conversation about how he was excited to see Nana and Pop next week!

Kathleen's kids were outside on the trampoline and could care less about the call. Aiden was in the same boat and was (hopefully) more focused on his potty training.

Funniest gross moment from the chat: Shane poked me in the nose. "Knock it o..." I started to correct him. Then my nose gave me new information. "Go wash your hands."

I made Shane clean out the kitty litter before the the call. Use your imagination.

He complained later. "That was so embarassing!"

"You're not the one who had a poop finger on your nose!" Ha ha!

Technology has been a great tool for social distancing. It's nowhere near as good as being able to meet people in person, but it prevents families from feeling totally isolated from each other.

I've been using the Zoom meetings for work and we will be using a different platform for virtual school starting April 13th. Bill set up a virtual hangout on Zoom for his birthday (Fun!) and I wanted to set up a rpg group online, but it never panned out (Sad).

Phones still work, too. Jama has called a couple of time (April fool's!) and Nana has called to lead Shane on scavenger hunts or to answer survey questions (Thanks, Nana!). I should call more people. I'm not as good about it as I used to be.

Texting is still a valid option, too. Carrie got a pony update from Sonya I figured I'd share! 


The blog is my main way of chronicling things. Hopefully, it's a tool to entertain, record memories and communicate. It's one way and not really me reaching out to anyone, though, so it has it's limitations. 

I'm updating my Schoology page for my students in a similar fashion. It's meant to be something consistent that can reach out to all 109 of my Geometry kids, but there's no telling how many have actually looked at it. I've only had a couple mention it in an email when they've asked me questions, but I like to think it's nice for at least some of them to know I'm reliably updating.

No comments:

Post a Comment